Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Blood Promise Chapter Fourteen

The encounter with Denis go aside-hand(a)(a)(p) me make up much conf utilise than earlier. It was a shocking illustration of Marks warning, an emblem of what I to a fault might be go into if I wasnt careful. I wasnt sincerely the same as Denis, was I? I wasnt aimlessly seeking danger. I was seeking danger well, for a causa. I had to fulfill the promise Id do to find Dimitri. possibly it was suicidal and I was precisely deluding myself into thinking it was noble.Viktoria left me little opportunity to rumin take in. Later that evening, as the family was settling down in the living room after way too much food, she glibly asked Olena, Can I go everyplace to Marinas? Shes having a party before we go covering fire to school.Wow. It sideed transcend care Abe and the Alchemists werent the only ones keeping secrets around here. I glanced between Olena and Viktorias faces, curious as to how this would play go forth. Olena and Yeva were both knitting, but Yeva didnt look up. Viktoria had spoken in English. Olenas face turned thoughtful.You brook to choke premature tomorrow to go back to school.I know. but I commode sleep on the bus. Everyone else depart be in that respect to darkness.?Everyone else isnt a persuade argument, sc mangleed Olena.Theyll every(prenominal) be ti rosy-cheeked tomorrow too, replied Viktoria, grinning.Youll miss your know nighttime with rise.Ill hang out with her after I buzz off back.Great. And stay up even later. non that late. Ill be back by two.Absolutely not. Youll be back by midnight. Olena returned to her knitting. provided that had been permission if Id ever comprehend it.Viktoria looked at the clock. It was closely eight thirty. Her face t senile me she wasnt quick-witted about the curfew, but she plain decided to take what she could require. Karolina gave us an odd look as we left the room but remained silent. Sonya and Paul, engrossed in TV, barely noticed our departure. I had to find out what was firing on.Okay, I verbalise once we were drift upstairs, what oversteps? I thought you werent vent to Marinas.Viktoria grinned and beckoned me into her bedroom. Id recently learned her bedroom used to be Dimitris, and any time I was in here, I had to urge on the urge to go bury myself in the bed, even though I knew the sheets had been washed countless times since those days. roughlyhow, I could imagine them smelling standardized Dimitri and feeling warm as though we were both lying there unitedly.Im not. Viktoria began rifling through her closet and pulled out a short, sleeveless red dress with lace around the straps. The fabric was stretchy -the affable that looked interchange open itd show everything. I was shocked when she began putting it on. It was pretty trashy.Is this a buffoonery?Nope. Viktoria took off her shirt and jeans and pulled the dress on. She had no trouble with it, but it was every bit as clingy as it had appeared. She wasnt as filled out as I was on top, but in a dress alike that, it didnt matter.Okay, I said, catching on at last. Whats his name?Rolan, she said. Oh, Rose. Hes amazing. And this is the last night Ill get to see him before school.I didnt know whether to feel happy for her or sad for Nikolai. This Rolan guy must(prenominal) have been the reason she couldnt give Nikolai the time of day.She was totally in get by with someone else. Still, that dressYou must really like him, I observed dryly.Her look widened. Do you lack to meet him?Er, well, I dont necessitate to interfere with your dateYou wont. Just seal off by and say hi, okay?It felt pretty intrusive, yet at the same time well, I was kind of curious about a guy who could get her to go forth the house in that kind of outfit, particularly when she started applying really heavy makeup extra-dark eyeliner and bright red lipstick. So I agreed to meet Rolan, and we left the house as quietly as we could. Despite wearing a coat over her dress, Viktoria nonethele ss didnt want to run into her mother.We headed downtown, following a few twists and turns until we ended up buns what looked like an ordinary warehouse in an abandoned part of town. tout ensemble was quiet, but a tall, tough-looking dhampir stood by a door accepting into the building, his armor crossed in front of him. Viktoria brought us to a halt nearby, locution we had to wait there. A minute later, a group of Moroi men of heterogeneous ages wandered up, chatting and laughing. The dhampir gave them a once-over and then opened the door for them. Light and medication spilled out until the door shut-and all went silent again.So this is Baias secret dhampir terra firma, I murmured. She didnt hear me because suddenly, her face lit up.There he isShe pointed to two attack guys. Both were Moroi. Well, who knew? Viktorias secret boy star wasnt a dhampir. I guessed that wasnt too shocking, really, though the way shed dressed tonight still bothered me. She gave him a gravelly hug and introduced us. His friend was named Sergey, and he smiled politely before hurrying in spite of appearing where he was apparently meeting a girl too.I had to give Viktoria credit Rolan was hot. His hair was dark auburn, soft and wavy. The atomic number 19 of his look reminded me-painfully-of Adrians.And when he smiled at Viktoria, it was dazzling. The look on her face was exactly like Nikolais whenever he was around her.Rolan took a hold of Viktorias hands and brought them to his lips, kissing from each one one. Those green, green eyes gazed at hers, and he murmured something I couldnt hear. She blushed and replied in Russian. I didnt choose any translation to know the content was sexy and flirty. Still smiling, he glanced over at me, and although shed introduced us, it was like he was noticing me for the archetypal time-and was elicit.Youre new here, arent you? he asked.Viktoria wrapped her arms around him and rested her head on his chest. Rose is visiting. Shes a friend of the family.Ah, he said. Now I remember audience about you. I had no idea such a enraged Strigoi killer would be so beautiful.Its part of the job description, I said dryly.Will you be returning to school with Viktoria? he asked.No. Ill be staying here a little longer. I still had no clue, though, if a little longer was one hour or one year.Hmm, he said thoughtfully. He looked back down at Viktoria and pressed a kiss to her hair, running his fingers along her throat. His next words were to her. Im glad you were able to come here before you left. I dont know how Ill get by with you so far away.She beamed. There was no way I could add without seeing you one more time She trailed off, too overcome with emotion, and as he leaned down, hand still on her throat, I thought for an ugly moment that they were liberation to start making out then and there.Fortunately, the appearance of an approaching dhampir girl interrupted them. Viktoria broke from Rolan and embraced the other girl. T hey apparently hadnt seen each other in a while and chatted rapidly in Russian, ignoring Rolan and me. lax of her for a moment, he leaned toward me.Once Viktoria has returned to school, youll be all alone here. Maybe I could show you around then?Thanks, but Ive already seen everything.He kept that big smile on. Of course. Well, then, perhaps we could simply get together and chew out?I couldnt reckon it. This guy had had his hands all over Viktoria thirty seconds ago and was now trying to score plans with me the instant she left town. I was disgusted and had to restrain myself from doing something stupid.Sorry, but I dont think Ill be around long full.I got the impression that women didnt refuse him very often. He frowned and started to protest, but Viktoria returned and wrapped herself around him again. He studied me for several(prenominal) more puzzled seconds and then shifted his attention to her, smiling and turning on the charm. She ate it all up, and while the two tried to include me in their conversation, it was lighten up they were totally absorbed in each other. Rolan might be pleaseed in me, but for now, she was an easier target-and one that wouldnt be available much longer. I felt that disgust roil up in me again. The longer we stood out there, the more I realized what was going on. All the people going inside were Moroi guys or dhampir girls. And the girls were all dressed like Viktoria. This was a countercurrent whore den. Suddenly, Baias secret dhampir world held no appeal.I hated it. I treasured nothing more than to get out of here. No, wait. I cute nothing more than to get out of here and drag Viktoria away, even kicking and screaming. Rolan was sleazy, no question, and I didnt want her anywhere near him. soon enough it soon became clear they werent going to stand out in the back street all night. They wanted to go inside and do God only knew what.Viktoria, I said, trying to be reasonable, are you sure you dont want to come back home and hang out? I mean, I wont get to see you tomorrow.She hesitated, then shook her head. I wont get to see Rolan either. But I promise Ill come see you as soon as I get home later. Well stay up all night. florists chrysanthemum wont care.I didnt know what other protests to make. Rolans impatience, now that Id refused him, was starting to show. He wanted to go inside. I wondered what was there a dance floor? Bedrooms? I belike could have gone with them to see for myself, despite being underdressed-or, well, garb as far as amounts of clothing went. Yet I couldnt receive myself to do it. All my spirit, Id been taught about blood whores and why their lifestyle was wrong. I didnt know if Viktoria was becoming one-and I hoped she wasnt-but there was no way I could set foot in there. It was a matter of principle.I watched them go with a heavy heart, wondering what Id besides let my friend walkway into. Seeing her in that ultra-tight dress, plastered all over him, suddenly do me r eevaluate everything. How much of this peaceful life in Baia was a sham? Was Viktoria-the girl whod called me a sister really not the person I thought she was? Confused, I turned away to head back home-And almost walked into Abe. Again.What the endocarp? I exclaimed. He wore a tuxedo tonight, complete with give chase and a silvery silk scarf. Are you s gibbering me? Stupid question. Of course he was. I hoped his formal wear meant he wouldnt be dragging me off this evening. His guardians were equally well dressed. Idly, I wondered if a place like this had something to do with his illegal business dealings. Was he trafficking blood whores? Like some kind of pimp?Unlikely, seeing as most of these girls didnt require much urging.Abe gave me that pettish knowing smile of his. I see your friend is off to an arouse night. I had no idea Viktoria had such lovely legs. Now everyone knows, give thanks to that dress.I clenched my fists and leaned toward him. Dont you dare talk about her l ike that, old man.Im not saying anything that isnt obvious to everybody else. Itll certainly be obvious to young Rolan soon.You dont know anything about them Yet I didnt believe my own words, not after seeing them walk off together. Abe, I could divide, knew what I was thinking.These girls all say it wont happen to them. But it incessantly does. Its whatll happen to you if you stay.Oh, here we are, I said mockingly. I knew a threat had to be coming. The part where you commit me again to leave the country or else bad, bad things lead happen.He gestured toward the door, where more Moroi and dhampirs were going. I dont even need to make anything bad happen. Youll do it on your own by staying here. Youll waste your life away, running errands for Olena Belikova. Potlucks will become the most exciting thing in your world.Theyre good people, I growled. Dont mock them.Oh, Im not denying that. He straightened his silk scarf. They are good people. But they arent your people. This is a fan tasy. Youre deluding yourself. He was all sternness now. Your grief has sent you here. Your man was ripped away from you, and youve ripped yourself away from your old friends. Youre trying to make up for it by persuade yourself that this is your family, that this is your home. Theyre not. This isnt.I could make this my home. I still wasnt sure of that, but my hardheaded nature made me want to contradict him.You arent meant for Baia, he said, dark eyes blazing. Youre meant for better things. You need to go back home, back to your school and the Dragomir princess.How the hell do you know about her? Who are you? When are you going to give out me who you work for? What do you want with me? I had a feeling I was on the verge of hysterics. Hearing him refer to Lissa snapped something inside of me.Im merely an perceiver who can tell youre wasting your time here. This is no life for you, Rose. Your life is back in the States. They say you were on track to be a great guardian. Do you know what an honor it is to be assigned to the last Dragomir? You could spend your life in elite, powerful circles. The reputation youve already gained will raise you in status and regard. You have a stunning travel ahead of you, and its not too late to go back to it. non yet.Who are you to talk about how I should live my life? Ive heard that your hands are bloody-Zmey. Youre not exactly a good agency model. What is it youre involved in, anyway?My own affairs. And its exactly because of the life I lead that you should listen to me when I say abandon this path and go back home.His words were urgent and authoritative, and I couldnt believe he had the audacity to talk to me like that. Thats not my life anymore, I said icily.He gave a harsh laugh and gestured around us once more. What, and this is? You want to go off and be a blood whore like your friend in there?Dont call her that I shouted. I dont care if youve got bodyguards or not. I will hurt you, old man, if you say anything else a bout Viktoria.He didnt flinch at my explosion. That was harsh, I admit. Shes not a blood whore. not yet. But shes one step away from it. As I said, it always happens in the end. Even if you arent used by someone like Rolan Kislyak-and believe me, he will use her, beneficial like he did her sister-youll still end up alone with a screw up youre way too young for.Her wait. I froze. Are you saying hes the guy who got Sonya pregnant? wherefore would Viktoria be involved with him after he did that and left her sister?Because she doesnt know. Sonya doesnt talk about it, and Mr. Kislyak thinks its a game, getting two sisters into bed. Too bad for him that Karolinas smarter than the others or he could have had them all. Who knows? He gave me a sardonic smile. Maybe hell go out you part of the family enough to go after you next.Like hell. Id never get involved with anyone like that. Im never going to be involved with anyone again. not after Dimitri.Abes sternness gave way to momentary amu sement. Oh, Rose. You are young. Youve barely lived. Everyone thinks their first love is the only one theyll ever have.This guy was really puddle me off, but I gained enough control to decide I wasnt going to punch him. At least, I didnt think so. I backed up a little, toward the building. Im not going to play your game here. And you can tell whoever youre working for that Im not playing theirs either and that Im not going back. iodine way or another, whether it was to hunt Dimitri or live with his family, I was staying in Russia. Youre going to have to box me up and ship me there.Not that I wanted to give Abe any ideas. I suspected he could do it if he wanted. Damn it. Who was behind this? Who would want to find me badly enough to send this guy after me? Weirder still, whoever it was was someone who cared enough about me to attack reason. If Abe had actually wanted to abduct me, he already would have. He could have done it the night he brought me to Baia. All he would have had t o do was keep driving to the nearest airport. I eventually needed to effigy this out, but first I needed to get away from Abe.I backed up further. Im leaving, and you cant stop me. And dont spy on me anymore. This ends now.Abe studied me for several seconds, his dark eyes narrowed thoughtfully. I could practically see the wheels of plots and world domination spinning in his head. At last he said, so quietly I could hardly hear him, It wont end with them, though.Who?He pointed at the door. Viktoria and Rolan.What are you getting at?You know what Im getting at. She thinks shes in love with him. He knows shell be back in school tomorrow. Tonights his last lot with her, and he wont waste it. There are lots of bedrooms in there. Theyre probably in one right now.I tried to control my breathing. indeed Ill go tell her mother.Itll be too late. Shed never find them in time, and tomorrow, Viktoria will be on her way to school-and hell have no interest anymore. What can her mother do after the fact? Ground her?I was getting angry, largely because I had a feeling he was right. Fine. and then Ill drag her off myself.Thatll never happen. She wants to do this. She wont leave with you. Even if she did, shed just find him again.I eyed him. Enough. Youre obviously hinting at something, so just get on with it.He smiled, apparently pleased at my astuteness-or maybe my bluntness. If you want to save her, youve got to go through him. Through Rolan.I scoffed. Not likely. The only way hed leave her alone is if I offered to take her place. And hey, fellowship only went so far.Not if I talk to him.What are you going to do, give him a talk on morality and sway him with reason?Oh, Ill sway him, all right. But believe me, I wont do it with reason-well, at least not the kind youre thinking of. If I tell him to leave her alone, hell leave her alone. For good.I stepped backward without realizing it and hit the wall. Abe looked scary as hell. Zmey. I didnt doubt his words at all. He cou ld get Rolan to leave Viktoria alone. In fact, he probably wouldnt even use his dhampirs. Abe could deliver enough terror-and probably a good punch-to make it happen.Why would you do that for me? I asked.As a sign of good faith. Promise to leave Baia, and Ill deal with him. His eyes gleamed. Both of us could feel the net closing around me.Thats your maneuver now? Youre offering me a trade? My leaving isnt really charge you scaring some Moroi asshole.The net grew tighter. Isnt it, Rose?Frantically, I thought about what to do. Some part of me thought Viktoria was free to make her own choices, to love whom she wanted but I knew for a fact that Rolan didnt love her. She was a success for him, as shown by his willingness to go after me-and Sonya, apparently. What would happen to Viktoria? Would she become like the rest of the women here? Would she be the next Belikov to have a baby? Even if she had no intentions of becoming a guardian, this wasnt the right path for her. Karolina had d eclined to get married the guardians and now lived a respectable life with her kids and a job that-if not exciting-was steady and allowed her to keep her dignity. I couldnt let Viktoria turn down a road that could ruin the rest of her life. I couldnt let that happen to Dimitris sister.DimitriI knew him. I knew his protective nature. He would never let anything happen to those he cared about. I hated the thought of that blood whore den, but I still would have run in to get her-because that was what Dimitri would have done. But I didnt know if Id find her there in time. I knew, however, that Abe could-and that he could keep Rolan away forever. And so, I spoke without fully understanding the consequences of my words.Ill leave Baia.

No comments:

Post a Comment